Thursday, October 3, 2013

Time

Time is really strange.

Yesterday marked 4 weeks since I left Minneapolis. It's hard to explain, but while it feels like I was sitting in my kitchen eating breakfast this morning, it also feels like it's been about 10 years since I've seen my family and friends. Time is moving remarkably fast, which makes me realize that I can't waste a second of my ten months because, after all, it's only ten nine (!!) months out of my life..

Life is starting to feel more normal in Italy. I've established somewhat of a schedule, I'm trying to keep my days busy, I've made a lot of friends, and I love my host family. I definitely still have "homesick days" every once and awhile, but overall I'm doing well. I love the people here.

Some of the things I've noticed since my last post:

  • Talking with your hands really is an Italian thing, although more Sicilian. And since I'm about as South as you can get, the conversations generally consist of a lot of flailing limbs and me attempting to dodge a slap in the face while also trying to keep up with the extremely fast garbled Italian. I think this has helped me though; my Italian is improving IMMENSELY. I'm actually glad my host family really doesn't know much English, I think I'll learn so much faster.
  • When one Italian get sick, everyone gets sick, not only just because of their lack of normal medicines like DayQuil or their tendency to go to school every day unless they're dying, and not even just because they insist on using the same tissue over and over until it's so disgusting that they have to throw it away... No, it's because THEY DON'T COVER THEIR MOUTHS WHEN THEY SNEEZE OR COUGH. And when they do, they do it with their hands, then don't wash them. It's hilarious, but at the same time terrible because of my weak immune system. Oh well :)

I'm sorry this post isn't very long... Anyone who is reading this and wants to know more please feel free to email me!

One day at a time..

Love always,
Maeve



No comments:

Post a Comment